Check the status of your refund
After you apply, you can check the status of your refund.
It can take up to 90 days to process your application and receive your credit.
- Click Check refund status.
- On the Enter Information page, enter the SSN or ITIN (last 4 digits), Date of birth using the MM-DD-YYYY format, and income reported on Line 1z of your federal tax form 1040 or 1040-SR.
- If applicable, select the Did you amend this application? checkbox.
- Click the Next button.
- On the Application status page, you will see the status of your application.
- How long will it take to get my refund?
It can take up to 90 days to process and issue your refund if your application is approved. It is possible that your WFTC refund will arrive before 90 days, but missing or incomplete information, mailing a paper application, and other factors can slow or even pause the processing time.
- Where can I check the status of my refund?
After two weeks, you can check our “Where’s My Refund” tool. Go to: WorkingFamiliesCredit.wa.gov/Refund.
We have a video to help you navigate the “Where’s My Refund” tool. Go to: WorkingFamiliesCredit.wa.gov/RefundVideo.
Note: It can take up to two weeks after you submit your application to show up in the “Where’s My Refund” tool, especially if you filed your WFTC application through the mail.
The WFTC Call Center at 360-763-7300 can also help you check the status of your application and share whether your application is approved. WFTC staff will need to verify your identity before they can provide you information about your application.
- What information does the "Where's My Refund" tool provide?
The “Where’s My Refund” tool can confirm general information about the status of your application. The tool will show any of the following statuses of your application:
- Application Received: This is a confirmation that we have successfully received your application. No additional information is needed at this time. Do not submit another application as this will delay processing the original application.
- Application Under Review: This means your application is actively being reviewed by the Department. No additional information is needed at this time.
- Decision Issued: This means that your application has been processed. It will either say “refund” if your application was approved, or “denial” if your application was denied. A letter has also been mailed to you stating whether your application was approved or denied.
- Application Not Found: This means that either you have not submitted an application or our system needs time to register your application as “Received.” Please allow up to two weeks to check your application status on the “Where’s My Refund” tool. Submitting duplicate applications will delay processing of the first application. If it has been more than two weeks since you submitted your application and the status still shows your application is not found, contact the WFTC Call Center at 360-763-7300 before submitting another application.
- Application Pending: This means that we have received your application, but additional information is needed to process it. We have sent a letter to the mailing address listed on your application requesting additional information.
- My status says “Decision Issued” on the “Where’s My Refund” tool. What type of decision is possible to receive on my WFTC application and how will I know what decision has been made?
You will receive a letter in the mail detailing the decision of your application. Your application decision will be either:
- Approved: You are eligible for the credit and we are working to send your refund.
- Denied: Based on information provided in your application, we determined that you do not qualify for the credit. If you feel this decision is incorrect, you can request a review.
Note: Neither the “Where’s My Refund” tool nor your MyDOR/SAW account will tell you whether your application is approved or not.
You will receive a letter in the mail with your specific decision. You can also contact the WFTC Call Center at 360-763-7300 to find out what decision has been made for your application. WFTC staff will need to verify your identity before they can provide information about your application.
- I submitted my WFTC application at the same time as someone else I know and they already received their refund. Where’s my refund?
Processing times will be different for each application and will depend on your unique tax situation.
It is possible your refund will come sooner; however, please be aware processing can take the full 90 days. Peak times, when processing can take the longest, are during tax filing season, typically from February through April.
- What will delay my refund getting to me?
The following may slow the processing of your application and may delay your refund:
- Missing or incomplete information: Your application may take longer to process if it has missing, incomplete, or incorrect information. Be sure to double-check for completeness, make sure all areas of the application are signed, and check accuracy before submitting.
- Paper check vs. direct deposit: If you requested your refund in the form of a check, it may take longer to receive your refund by check than a direct deposit. Mailed checks generally arrive 5-7 business days from the time your refund was sent.
- Mailed application: If you complete your application by paper and mail it to us, it will take extra time for the paper application to reach us.
- Duplicate applications: Submitting multiple applications will cause significant delays in application processing.
- Supporting documents in other languages: If your application or supporting documents are in another language, we will need to translate these materials which may add up to two additional weeks to the processing time.
- Will I received my WFTC refund the same time as my federal tax refund?
No, even if you submitted your federal tax return and WFTC application at the same time. You will receive two separate payments:
- Any federal tax refund you receive will be processed and issued by the IRS.
- Your WFTC refund will be processed and issued separately by the Washington State Department of Revenue. Paper checks are issued by the Office of the State Treasury.
If you are unsure whether you have already applied for WFTC, please contact the WFTC Call Center at 360-763-7300.
- My WFTC application was denied. What do I do if I believe my application was denied in error?
If you believe your application was denied in error, please contact the WFTC Call Center at 360-763-7300, and a specialist can talk through the issue with you and possibly resolve the error. If a specialist determines that your application was not denied in error, but you still believe you are eligible, you can submit a request for review within 30 days of the date your denial was issued.
For more information about how to request a review, please visit Workingfamiliescredit.wa.gov/Review.
- What kind of things can the WFTC Call Center help me with?
The WFTC Call Center can provide a variety of services, including:
- Answer questions about eligibility. Assist with completing the MyDOR or paper application.
- Mail blank paper applications upon request.
- Help you navigate the “Where’s My Refund” tool.
- Provide information about the status of your refund.
- Provide language support in hundreds of languages using our third-party interpreter.
- What do I do if I have not received any letters in the mail?
If you are concerned that you may have missed a letter from us or that your mail has been lost or stolen, please contact the WFTC Call Center at 360-763-7300. We can confirm your mailing address is correct in our system and resend letters if needed. WFTC staff will need to verify your identity before they can provide you information about your application.
- What should I do if I receive a "Request for Information" letter?
If you receive a letter requesting additional information, please send back the requested documentation via mail, or upload the requested documentation using secure messaging in MyDOR. If you are unsure what information or documentation you need to provide, please contact the WFTC Call Center at 360-763-7300. If we do not receive a response by the requested date, your application may be denied, or you may receive a reduced credit amount.